Cannot open the message catalog "man" for locale

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Feb 22 12:38:05 PST 2008

Christian Voelker wrote:
> Let me describe my installation and explain my conclusions from
> that. There are two misconceptions in copying a static .profile
> into the users directory. First, not everybody is using bash.
> My account exists from times before Tiger, I still use tcsh,
> I am still happy with it and I have no reason to change it.
> The script should care for the users preferred shell.

So, what should be script do else if not adding PATH and MANPATH? Also,
there is no way to be really sure which shell the user runs (it can
easily be changed in terminals).

> Second and even more important, the script should take care
> for the prefix as found in macports.conf. I always found it
> nasty to have a folder following common unix semantics in
> my initial Finder view. The proper place for Macports seems
> to be /Library/Macports for me. It was easy to change this
> at install time and I did not have problems with this for
> a long time now (over a year now I think - at least sometime
> in the past Macports was broken with regard to that but it
> was fixed before I found out how to help myself - Thanks.)
> The prefix is also no hack but an option given by the system.
> As such, the users choice should be respected at all times.
> Even if I were to use bash as my shell, the content of the
> static .profile file would have turned out to be plain wrong.

What is your request? macports.conf is inside the prefix, so the prefix
path itself has to be in .profile anyways.

Of course you can use /Library/MacPorts as your prefix, that is up to you.

But, sorry, I still don't get what you want to be changed...?

Rainer