MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Feb 24 19:46:50 PST 2008

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2008, at 8:05 AM, William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> So whats left? I think you'll want a special hostname for these?

> than reasonable, and a completely flat namespace even more so since it
> then becomes very easy to add to the search path for all ports.

All distfiles in one single directory? I am against that at all!

<group> would be category, I think. But some ports also use the same
distfiles by specifying distname (e.g. vim and vim-app). So maybe it
would be better to use the distname of the regarding port to avoid
mirroring files multiple times.
Although that takes away the category information. I even do not like
the fact that /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles is not categorized. But
the whole categories handling in MacPorts is a bit broken; that's
another topic...

And it would be no problem to prepend URL with an advanced scheme to the
master_sites list (or even add it at the end if the sourceforge mirror
group is present, as said earlier). I think it would be just a bit more
work to do it for ports using tagged mirrors also, but surely not
impossible.

Rainer