MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Feb 25 13:34:39 PST 2008

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Because given the $portname-$portversion naming of 99% of the
> distfiles (and the unique names of the 1% that are left), I just don't
> see collisions as a problem.  I don't see it as a problem with the
> FreeBSD ports collection either, and they're almost 3X bigger than we
> are.

I didn't know they are using such a flat namespace.

>> Why are you against adding more logic to the fetch code?
>
> Because it's always "someone" who gets to add it and that someone
> hasn't volunteered yet.   If you're volunteering, then I withdraw most
> of my objection.

[...]
> I guess this just doesn't bother me as much as it evidently bothers
> you.  I like the notion of a single URL which points to all the
> distfiles.   Again, however, if you're volunteering to do the work in
> MacPorts then you're supporting your proposal in the only way that
> really counts and I'm happy to withdraw my objection.

I didn't want to volunteer until we got to a conclusion. But of course I
would volunteer to improve our fetch code to include this
http://distfiles.macports.org/<distname>/<file> scheme.

The fetch code is not the difficult part for this, the hard part is to
get the fetching done for every platform/variant.

Rainer