Some confusion about XFree86

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 05:35:01 PST 2008

Hello all --

Its been a while since I've made a bunch of MacPorts, but I have an Xserve
running Leopard Server 10.5.1 and wanted to give it a try with MacPorts
1.6.0.

I had problems building XFree86 (I tried to install with the -d debug option
and have saved the output in case it might be useful to submit to the Trac
bug reporting system). Before submitting anything, I started poking around a
bit, looking at some of the more recent posts about Leopard and XFree86 on
the MacPorts mailing list and also noticing that Apple's X11 app is now
based on X.org.

I noticed that there are also some new (well, new since I last tried
MacPorts 1.5.0 on a Tiger Server system in August of 2007), ports that seem
to be related to X, such as xorg-util-macros and xorg-xproto (but even these
newish ports still depend on XFree86).

I'm wondering if anyone can provide a little clearer lay of the land / big
picture to help me fill in the missing pieces (with apologies if there is a
lot more details interwoven into these mail threads). Are there any
recommended paths to take with regard to X11 app or building XFree86 port?
Has anyone else had failure building XFree86 on Leopard Server 10.5.1 or
Leopard 10.5.1?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Best regards,

T.M.