Incredible speed ups on Leopard!?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Jan 3 11:10:05 PST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 3:01 AM, Tabitha McNerney wrote:

> Thank you for providing a reality check (and thanks to Apple for
> modifying Leopard's Tcl to speed things up). I wonder then, will
> having a 64-bit operating system with 64-bit tools ( e.g., Xcode)
> assist anywhere in the process of compiling a MacPort (or running a
> MacPort)? I think I did read in a much earlier post several weeks
> ago whereby someone asked a similar question about gaining 64-bit
> binaries and I think I recall that the answer is that its possible
> (but forgot the details of how -- perhaps just "automagic" with the
> gcc compiler provided by Apple with Xcode dev tools?

I think that for the most part, the 64 bit environment is not going to
impact MacPorts as a whole.  You gain some performance due to having
the extra registers, but you also lose performance due to increased
memory pressure and, at least right now, there's just no reason to
compile something 64 bit unless it's the sort of application with a
really large working set (scientific simulation, photo processing
tools working on RAW images, etc).

- Jordan