Standardizing a MacPorts system

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 3 20:21:56 PST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 22:13, paul beard wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2008 6:22 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I wasn't aware that any ports tied themselves to the build system's
>> hostname. That would be problematic as well if we started to
>> distribute binaries of ports. Then again, I'm only familiar with a
>> small minority of our ports collection.
>>
>> With which ports have you observed this problem?
>
> Aren't you the maintainer of the mysql port?

Yes I am.

> [/opt/local/var/db/mysql5]# ls
> .turd_mysql5            ibdata1                 test
> ib_logfile0             localhost.err
> white.paulbeard.org.err
> ib_logfile1             mysql
>
> There may well be others but this one came to mind immediately.

MySQL writes logfiles whose names contain the hostname, yes. The
hostname is not, however, to the best of my knowledge, encoded into
any files installed by the MySQL ports. There should be no problem
installing MySQL on one system and running it on another. The two
systems will merely use separate logfiles by default -- which is in
fact probably a good thing, isn't it? If it isn't, there's probably a
way to have MySQL write to a logfile of a name of your choosing.
Consult the MySQL documentation.