Standardizing a MacPorts system

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 01:01:53 PST 2008

On 1/3/08, William Siegrist <wsiegrist at apple.com> wrote:

> The use of the hostname for MySQL's error log is coded into mysql
> itself:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/error-log.html
>
> Even if you had <original_host>.err left over on the other "cloned"
> hosts, it shouldnt be a problem, since a <new_host>.err will be made
> and used.  And that same link shows the line to put in etc/my.cnf to
> make it standard anyway.
>
> FWIW, Mac OS Forge uses 1 installation of MacPorts for many XServes,
> and we dont have problems. I'd really be interested to know which
> ports are hostname-dependent.

With apologies, I didn't at the time (when I was installing some of my ports
with the verbos option) make a note -- it was more of an afterthought, but
in the verbose output of one my 180+ ports I made the past few days, I did
see the hostname show up in the verbose output which made me wonder if this
could be a problem such as if some ports were made which would depend on in
some way the hostname. It may be that there is no problem at all. I'm glad
to learn that Mac OS Forge has successfully cloned and implemented MacPorts
systems for use with multiple machines.

Thanks,

T.M.

-Bill