$ sudo port -f install MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jan 4 10:49:11 PST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008, at 08:10, Charlse Darwin wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2008, at 11:41 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> It all happened after I started playing with xnu (darwin_9, uname
>>> -r on my machine returns 8.11.0)
>>> I have tried installing MacPorts from this package
>>> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/
>>> MacPorts-1.6.0/MacPorts-1.6.0-10.4-Tiger.dmg
>>>
>>> but it failed. I'm thinking maybe I should reinstalling the Xcode
>>> too…
>>
>> XNU is the Mac OS X kernel, yes? What do you mean, playing with
>> it? You are running Tiger? If so, what did you mean when you said
>> "darwin_9"? In what way did installing MacPorts 1.6.0 from the
>> Tiger disk image fail? If you're on Tiger, reinstalling Xcode 2.5
>> couldn't hurt.
>
> Yes I meant XNU the kernel of Mac OS X and I am running Tiger
> (darwin_8.11.0). Days ago I tried to build and install the new
> version of kernel from source code <http://www.opensource.apple.com/
> darwinsource/Current/> which failed. Somewhere along I must have
> messed up something because after that I kept getting this error
> message:
> "Command output: configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub"
> for almost every port I'm trying to install

It does sound messed up. You could try reinstalling Xcode, or you may
have to reinstall Mac OS X. Unless there's a config.log file you
could look at that suggests a different course of action. But you
definitely need to solve this general inability to build things
before we tackle any port-specific problems.