sudo port install mldonkey

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jan 4 12:40:45 PST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008, at 14:30, Charlse Darwin wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:55, Charlse Darwin wrote:

[snip]

>>> $ sudo port -f install ocaml
>>> --->  Fetching ocaml
>>> --->  Attempting to fetch ocaml-3.10.0.tar.bz2 from http://
>>> caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/ocaml-3.10/
>>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ocaml
>>> --->  Extracting ocaml
>>> --->  Configuring ocaml
>>> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
>>> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lan
>>> g_ocaml/work/ocaml-3.10.0" && ./configure -prefix /opt/local -no-
>>> tk " returned error 2
>>> Command output: sed: 1: "s/-[^-]*$//": RE error: brackets ([ ])
>>> not balanced
>>> ../gnu/config.sub: line 128: [: !=: unary operator expected
>>> Invalid configuration `powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0': machine `'
>>> not recognized
>>> Please specify the correct host type with the -host option

[snip]

>> But first, let's start with your sed. There's nothing that I can
>> see that's wrong with "s/-[^-]*$//"; looks perfectly balanced to
>> me. What can you tell me about your sed? Here's info about mine,
>> from my MacBook Pro running 10.4.11:
>>
>> $ ls -l /usr/bin/sed
>> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  68388 Dec  7  2006 /usr/bin/sed
>> $ file /usr/bin/sed
>> /usr/bin/sed: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
>> /usr/bin/sed (for architecture i386):   Mach-O executable i386
>> /usr/bin/sed (for architecture ppc):    Mach-O executable ppc
>> $
>>
>> Your info will be different because you're on PowerPC but I'm
>> curious to see if it has about the same modification date
>> (indicating it's from Apple), or if it's newer (indicating it was
>> replaced with something else at some point).
>
> $ ls -l /usr/bin/sed
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  38424 Dec 31 09:16 /usr/bin/sed*
> $ file /usr/bin/sed
> /usr/bin/sed: Mach-O executable ppc
> $ which sed
> /usr/bin/sed
>
> Should chmod 68388 /usr/bin/sed ?

That doesn't make sense. 68388 is the size in bytes of my sed
program. Yours is 38424 bytes. That sounds about right, given that on
PowerPC Macs, it should contain only ppc code (and not ppc and i386
code as on Intel Macs). However, the fact that it was modified
December 31, 2007 is not right, and it indicates that you have
probably replaced the sed that came with Mac OS X with something else
which is apparently not functioning the way Apple's version did. You
could replace this broken sed with the one that came with Mac OS X by
copying it from the Mac OS X Tiger DVD. However, I recommend you
first check /usr/bin and see if anything else was replaced by you on
December 31. If so, who knows where else on your system essential
components have been replaced, so reinstalling Mac OS X would be safer.