abiword issues

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 5 13:47:27 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 15:34, Michael J. Vollinger wrote:

> I checked in /Applications/MacPorts and it Abiword.app is there,
> but it is Cocoa version  (not using x11) for some reason.  I
> installed that version a while ago when I could not get the
> MacPorts (x11) version to install.  But I did NOT install it in the
> MacPorts directory, I installed it in /Applications.  I would
> prefer to use the x11 version if that is possible.

It seems that "abiword" is the Aqua version of Abiword and "abiword-
x11" is the X11 version of Abiword. Here's your initial message:

On Jan 5, 2008, at 11:30, Michael J. Vollinger wrote:

> Can anyone help me with some Abiword issues I am having?  I tried
> to install abiword-x11 and long list of error messages.  Can be
> viewed at http://www.nabble.com/abiword-x11-issues-
> to14518635.html#a14518635
> After that I tried installing the other abiword package, version
> 2.4.5_0 and it says it installed.  The problem I am having now is I
> can not start the program.  When I open a xterm window and type
> abiword I get the error message: bash: abiword: command not found.
> Am I doing anything wrong?  Help help would be looked upon kindly
> with any version of abiword.

You explained that you cannot install abiword-x11 because of various
errors, and I showed you a ticket in our issue tracker that had
already been filed about that. You then asked for help using the
abiword port instead. We have now shown you how to use the abiword
port. If you would like to use the abiword-x11 port instead, you will
have to discover why those error messages occur and help us to fix
the portfile. You may have to open a discussion with the developers
of the Abiword software.