MacPorts 1.6 still supports OS X 10.3 Panther?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 5 15:03:32 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 16:49, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Anything I can do to help track down what is going wrong? The
>>> "version" of tclsh on 10.3 appears just like 10.4 and 10.5 - a
>>> symbolic link to tclsh8.4
>>
>> I looked through the sources for "ui_channels" and found reference
>> in the ChangeLog to the changeset I mentioned a couple messages
>> ago. I could try reverting that changeset and compiling, see if it
>> works then.

I meant "You could try..."

> Reverting changes just because of the name is probably a bad idea -
> that change was made for a reason, and there's nothing I can think
> of that would make that change have any problems on 10.3.

I understand the change was made for a reason. But the error message
reported on Panther is "Error: Unable to open port: invalid command
name 'ui_channels'" and that changeset does remove three functions
called "ui_channels" from port.tcl, portindex.tcl and portmirror.tcl.
I don't have Panther or I'd test it myself. Chris does have Panther
and was asking for suggestions for what he could try. So I made a
suggestion.