mod_ssl, Apache2 and Leopard with patch -- doesn't work

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 22:27:34 PST 2008

Hello all --

I've taken note of Ticket 11755 regarding a patch to the Apache2 MacPort due
to the known problems with mod_ssl on Leopard. I have installed both the
openssl and openssl97 MacPorts. I deactivated openssl and ensured that
openssl97 was active. I patched the apache2 (version 2.2.6 of Apache)
Portfile. And then I installed apache2 with the openssl97 variant:

$ sudo port install apache2 +openssl97

Then, when I try running apache I get:

$ opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start
> httpd: Syntax error on line 96 of /opt/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /opt/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server:
> dlopen(/opt/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so, 10): Symbol not found:
> _ssl_cmd_SSLCACertificateFile\n  Referenced from:
> /opt/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so\n  Expected in: flat namespace\n

Line 96 of my http.conf file looks like this:

LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so

Checking the file itself, I get:

-rwxr-xr-x   2 admin staff  156512 Jan  6 06:09 mod_ssl.so

What would I be doing wrong?

Maybe its best to compile mod_ssl.so manually, against openssl97, instead of
with the patched Portfile?

I would rather fix this for Apache2 rather than uproot the openssl Portfile
(which uses 0.9.8g) and which many other MacPorts depend on.

Thanks,

T.M.