mod_ssl, Apache2 and Leopard with patch -- doesn't work

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 11:24:24 PST 2008

Guido,

I just had an idea. Why not use Apple's libssl.so that comes with Leopard
Server, which can be found in:

/usr/libexec/httpd/libssl.so

Based on the output of otool, Apple has built libssl.so against OpenSSL
0.9.7 rather than the troublesome 0.9.8:

$ otool -L libssl.so

libssl.so:
    /usr/lib/libssl.0.9.7.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.7, current
version 0.9.7)
    /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.7, current
version 0.9.7)
    /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
1.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
111.0.0)

Is there any reason why libssl could not be used in place of mod_ssl for
those running MacPorts on Leopard Server? I don't spend enough of my time in
the depths of Apache but I think I will try this out and see what happens.
Note: if this solution works, it would not solve the problem for people who
are running Leopard but not Leopard Server.

Thanks,

T.M.