libtoolize vs. glibtoolize?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun Jan 6 13:23:02 PST 2008

I'm slowly deleting stuff that I had installed previous to installing
MacPorts.  Today I launched into the libtool/auto* stuff.  I have the latest
libtool-devel installed.  I find I have glibtoolize but no longer have
libtoolize.  What's the difference?

When I try to bootstrap the configuration of a little project from work with
these commands:

    glibtoolize --automake
    aclocal
    autoheader
    automake --foreign --add-missing
    autoconf

aclocal fails with this output:

    /opt/local/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_SMPEG
    /opt/local/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13:   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
    /opt/local/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13:   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
    /opt/local/bin/gm4:configure.ac:23: recursion limit of 1024 exceeded, use -L<N> to change it
    autom4te: /opt/local/bin/gm4 failed with exit status: 1
    aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1

This is a configuration which used to work (and still works on the Solaris
machines at work, modulo the "libtoolize" vs. "glibtoolize" bit).  Is the
smpeg.m4 warning related to the recursion limit error?

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/