mod_ssl, Apache2 and Leopard with patch -- doesn't work

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 13:47:19 PST 2008

On 1/6/08, Guido Soranzio <guido.soranzio at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2008, at 8:24 PM, Tabitha McNerney wrote:
>
> > I just had an idea. Why not use Apple's libssl.so that comes with
> > Leopard Server
>

> Because the goal of the MacPorts project is the contrary of that:
> we should mess with the sources provided by third parties, not with
> the binaries distributed by Apple!

Guido, I am with you and agree with you. MacPorts should have the goal of
being as independent as possible. And that reminds me then that I should
take a closer look to see why the kaffe port will not build on Leopard, too
(rather than using Apple Leopard Server's Tomcat, since I want to build
Tomcat from MacPorts and it depends on Kaffe).

I have tried to apply the rough workaround I suggested you; these
> are the simple steps I followed:
>

> * extract the sources of Apache with "sudo port extract apache2"

Guido, this is fascinating! I was not aware of the command-line tool named
"extract". I don't see it in my PATH on either my Tiger Server or Leopard
Server system. I also don't see "extract" as a MacPort as in:

$ port info extract
> Error: Port extract not found

Could you point me (and the MacPorts mailing list) to where we can find the
extract command-line tool? Thank you!

* search where in the sources the option "-export-simbol-regex"
>    is defined with:
>
>    grep -r "-export-symbols-regex" /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
> .macports.org_release_ports_www_apache2
>
> ==>
>
> [...]
> [...] /httpd-2.2.6/configure:    test "x$silent" != "xyes" && echo "
> setting MOD_SSL_LDADD to \"-export-symbols-regex ssl_module\""
> [...]/ httpd-2.2.6/configure:    MOD_SSL_LDADD="-export-symbols-regex
> ssl_module"
> [...] /httpd-2.2.6/configure:    apr_addto_bugger="-export-symbols-
> regex ssl_module"
> [...]
>

> * as suspected, the option is used to build the ssl_module...
>

> * let's edit the apache2 Portfile with "sudo port edit apache2" and
>    add our patch to the configure script in the Leopard section:
>
>    platform darwin 9 {
>        depends_build-append port:gawk
>         post-extract {
>             reinplace "s|-export-symbols-regex ssl_module||g" $
> {worksrcpath}/configure
>         }
> }
>

> * after cleaning the apache2 port and compiling it, let's test it:
>
>    sudo apachectl start
>

> * no message errors about missing symbols: we got it!

Guido, you are a hero of the day!!! I will also test your solution on
Leopard Server and confirm that it works for me. If it works for you and
also for me, then I think you (or I can do this for you if you are busy)
should submit the patch to MacPorts Trac system. Thanks for helping to find
the solution,

T.M.