ocaml fails on Tiger (was: Re: sudo port install mldonkey)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 7 13:14:21 PST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 04:32, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:05:14PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> # I installed ocaml from precompiled binary
>>>
>>> # <http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/ocaml-3.10/ocaml-3.10.0-ppc.dmg>
>>>
>>> $ sudo port clean --dist --archive --work  mldonkey
>>> --->  Cleaning mldonkey
>>> $ sudo port clean --dist --archive --work  ocaml
>>> Password:
>>> --->  Cleaning ocaml
>>> $ sudo port clean --dist --archive --work  mldonkey
>>> --->  Cleaning mldonkey
>>> Mac:~ pm$ sudo port -f install mldonkey
>>> --->  Fetching ocaml
>>> --->  Attempting to fetch ocaml-3.10.0.tar.bz2 from http://
>>> caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/ocaml-3.10/
>>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ocaml
>>> --->  Extracting ocaml
>>> --->  Applying patches to ocaml
>>> --->  Configuring ocaml
>>> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
>>> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lan
>>> g_
>>> ocaml/work/ocaml-3.10.0" && ./configure -prefix /opt/local -no-tk "
>>> returned error 2
>>> Command output: sed: 1: "s/-[^-]*$//": RE error: brackets ([ ]) not
>>> balanced
>>> ../gnu/config.sub: line 128: [: !=: unary operator expected
>>> Invalid configuration `powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0': machine `' not
>>> recognized
>>> Please specify the correct host type with the -host option
>>>
>>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: lablgtk ocaml
>>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>>> $
>>>
>>> # How do I get it to skip ocaml?
>>
>> There isn't a built-in way to do that. MacPorts is designed not to
>> make use of any software you install outside of MacPorts. You could
>> possibly modify the portfile to look for ocaml in a different
>> directory. But what we would really like is for someone to figure out
>> why the ocaml port fails to build, and fix it.
>
> is   there   hope   (i.e.  is  the  package  still  actively
> maintained)?
>
> would it be helpful to "cross post" this issue on one of the
> ocaml lists asking for opinions/help?  if so, where to  send
> potential answers?  to "pguyot at kallisys.net" as
>
> `port info ocaml'
>
> tells me?

If you want to know if a package is being actively maintained, you
should email the package maintainer. If "nomaintainer" is the package
maintainer, then it is not being maintained.

The problems Charlse Darwin was experiencing were the result of his
unique setup which included a broken sed program.

The general problems building ocaml on Tiger which were reported in
ticket 13583 were resolved by me 3 days ago because the maintainer
had not responded to the issue.

After you "sudo port selfupdate" do you still see any problems?