libtool vs. libtool-devel

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Jan 7 16:51:24 PST 2008

I was seduced by the libtool-devel port (v. 1.9f), which caused me to
deactivate the libtool port (v 1.5.24) in favor of it.  As it turns out, the
automake folks told me 1.9f is pretty old.

The other kicker which got me to try libtool-devel was that the libtool port
doesn't actually install tools named "libtool" and "libtoolize".  I was
looking for libtoolize, so assumed without investigating that if 1.9 > 1.5
and 1.5 doesn't have libtoolize, maybe 1.9 would have it.

Given the naive view that a larger version number implies something a bit
more current and "-devel" implies something a bit more development-oriented,
shouldn't the libtool-devel port either be renamed or deleted altogether?

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/