MacPorts and IPv6

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Jan 7 18:33:38 PST 2008

Andre-John Mas wrote:
> Hi,

> Since MacOS X officially supports IPv6, it would be nice if programs that provide an IPv6 build option could either have IPv6 specified in the default port, or at the very least as a variant. Hopefully everyone is ok with this enhancement request.
>
> I don't plan on testing the ports for this, but I can say that the Apache2 port already supports IPv6, but the Lynx port doesn't (ticket 13864).

Now I fixed that ticket before even reading this mail...

Okay, there are many ports which have an +ipv6 variant. But I don't see
any reason why IPv6 should not be enabled by default, many other
software without extra switches might already support it anyway.

At least for now you could add +ipv6 to your variants.conf to install
every port with that option if it is provided. But for long term support
for IPv6 should be provided by default in my opinion.

Rainer