MacPorts 1.6.0 dmg now available for Panther (Mac OS X 10.3)

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Wed Jan 9 23:09:46 PST 2008

Hi everyone,

Firstly, apologies for cross-posting, but I wanted to make sure everyone
gets this.

This message is to notify all of our wonderful Panther-using MacPorts
users that we've finally ironed out the bugs that were preventing MacPorts
1.6.0 from operating correctly on Panther, and have now uploaded a Panther
dmg incorporating our fixes, which you can now download (you can fetch it
directly [1], or go via the installation page of the MacPorts website
[2]).  A big thank you to Juan Manuel Palacios and Kevin Ballard for
providing the fixes, to Chris Janton for confirming that one particular
problem wasn't just with my build machine, and to all of the Panther users
who reported the problems!

For those Panther users who like installing MacPorts from source instead
of  from our dmgs, the 1.6.0 tarball doesn't yet incorporate the Panther
fixes, but we'll be releasing a 1.6.1 update soon, so you should have to
wait too long.

If you're really keen, however, you can still do a 1.6.0 source install by
applying a few patches from our repository.  Those not interested can
safely skip this bit, but if you are interested, here's what to do:

=== Start of patch instructions ===

 1. Download and extract the MacPorts tarball as normal (see the "Source
Install" section of the MacPorts Guide [3]).

 2. Download the changesets 32105 [4], 32212 [5], 32514 [6] and 32525 [7]
from the MacPorts repository, copying or saving them to the "MacPorts
1.x.x" directory that the MacPorts tarball extracted itself into.  If your
browser displays the patches instead of saving them, use your browser's
"File > Save As..." menu item -- they should save with
filenames like "changeset_32105.diff".

 3. At the command line, change into the directory as per the MacPorts
Guide [3], but before running the "./configure" command as described
there, run the following commands (one for each of the changeset files you
saved above):

    % patch -p3 < changeset_32105.diff
    % patch -p3 < changeset_32212.diff
    % patch -p3 < changeset_32514.diff
    % patch -p3 < changeset_32525.diff

 4. Follow the rest of the source install procedure as normal.

=== End of patch instructions ===

Don't worry, we won't be making you source installers get used to doing
things like this!

Once again, apologies to all our Panther users out there, and thanks for
using MacPorts.

Wishing you all a happy 2008,

Boey Maun Suang

[1]