Upgrade of imap-uw @2004g_0+darwin_7 fails

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sat Jan 12 16:18:39 PST 2008

On Jan 12, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> We've just had a big long thread on the list about getting MacPorts
> 1.6.0 to compile on Mac OS X 10.3, and the 10.3 disk image for
> MacPorts 1.6.0 is now available. As far as I'm concerned, MacPorts
> needs to still support Mac OS X 10.3.

Officially, MacPorts supports 10.4 and 10.5 (the current OS release,
and the previous release). That means that maintainers may not choose
to go to extreme lengths to fix issues on earlier releases.

That said, we also don't want to stand in the way of having things
continue to work on 10.3; it's up to maintainers to decide how much
effort to go to in order to do so. Some may want to apply patches for
10.3, and some may not. The current attitude is to put some effort
into keeping things running on 10.3, which I think is positive.

But I don't want to edge into a situation where we have, in all cases,
to continue to support older releases; that would negate the very
valid reasons that this policy was implemented in the first place.

James