Underscores in some directory user, group names (Postfix MacPort example)

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 21:17:18 PST 2008

Hello Jordan, et al:

Today I was reading my documentation for running a separate OpenLDAP daemon
on an Xserve running Leopard Server. I installed the openldap MacPort (which
is based on OpenLDAP version 2.3.35) and I was somewhat surprised that the
installation created a user with short name "ldap" and a UID of 500 (with a
group short name of "ldap" and a gid of 502). The reason this surprised me
is that Apple ships with Leopard Server a compilation instance of OpenLDAP
2.3.27 which is of course the basis for OpenDirectory, and which slapd
daemon is run by root apparently at boot time (I presume there is a launchd
plist for this but I haven't looked yet).

Now, therefore, considering the logic of using underscores as prefixes to
avoid namespace collisions since the founders of Unix didn't consider this
to be a problem in the 1970s / 1980s, and considering the examples of uids
and gids whose corresponding short names that reside in the local domain
directory that Apple ships with Leopard Server are, in examples:

_postfix
_postdrop
_guest
_xgridagent
_spotlight
_mysql
_svn
_www
_jabber
_sshd

and the list goes on ...

Why oh why do I not see (when I search the local directory domain of my
Leopard Server 10.5.1 instance using WorkgGroup Manager to search on names
with underscores in them):

_ldap ???

Am I out of my mind that the ommission of "_ldap" is illogical and without
basis and is inconsistent with the namespace issue that has been raised
herein this discussoin thread thus far? Would it not be possible, for
example, for a person to accidentally choose a short user name of "ldap"
just as they might also accidentally do so with a name such as "postfix"?
Why does life have to be so complicated -- meaning, why do humans create
their own unnecessary complexity? We have too many rules we have to
remember. Where oh where is my missing friend in Leopard's local directory
domain named, "_ldap"? Thus as a result, the openldap MacPort created a
separate user account named "ldap". Ugh!

Thanks,

T.M.