Underscores in some directory user, group names (Postfix MacPort example)

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 03:57:10 PST 2008

On 1/13/08, Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh at apple.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry, Tabitha, but I've read this message twice and I still have no
> idea just what question it is you're actually asking here. :-)
> - Jordan

Jordan, I'll try to rephrase my question to hopefully clarify:

Why doesn't Apple include, in Mac OS X Server 10.5, a local directory entry
of a user user named "_ldap"?

A follow up question:

What criteria did Apple use for selecting names, in the local directory
domain of Mac OS X Server 10.5, which were eligible to receive an underscore
prefix?

What triggered my question was the MacPorts openldap installation on Leopard
Server creates a local directory user named "ldap" but I half expected in
Leopard to find a prexisting user named "_ldap" in the local directory
(courtesy of Apple), considering some of the other underscored prefixed Unix
user names that prexist courtesy of Apple as _postfix

Thank you,

T.M.