freetype-devel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 14 18:38:37 PST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 20:34, Michael Franz wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2008 9:09 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jan 14, 2008, at 19:38, Michael Franz wrote:
>>
>> > I have a program that needs to link against freetype-devel.  I have
>> > installed freetype using macports - does this install the devel
>> > library?  If not how do I install the devel portion?
>>
>> In MacPorts there is no separation between the binaries and libraries
>> (what some other package managers might install as "freetype") and
>> the headers needed to build other software (what some other package
>> managers might install as "freetype-devel"). Instead, in MacPorts,
>> everything you need is already in "freetype".
>

> This might be asking too much, but how would I solve this problem?
> checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... no
> configure: error: "Freetype not found - try installing freetype-devel"

Without knowing what software it is that you're trying to build, I
can only make basic suggestions about how to compile something
against the MacPorts libraries. See this message from earlier today:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-January/
008313.html

Especially see the "Bottom line" at the end.