ClusterSSH / Leopard Fix

David Blank-Edelman dnb at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jan 15 14:44:40 PST 2008

> I posted a thread on here awhile ago, detailing problems with
> ClusterSSH and Leopard.

Hi Neil and others-
   I'm sorry I didn't see your message earlier because I've been
chasing the same bug for a while. Neither of us mentioned ClusterSSH
in our subject messages so we missed each other. My message was this:

    http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-January/008107.html

The problem with the cssh port as it exists is that the p5-tk port
(currently without a maintainer) doesn't work. A simple script like
this:

    use Tk;

causes a bus error.

I don't have the expertise to figure out why that is happening (and
I've tried a bunch of things including back-revving to the 8.4.16 port
of Tk) and haven't heard back from anyone who does. I tried asking the
current Tk port maintainer (the very busy Markus) if he had any ideas
but did not hear back. As a last resort, I just wrote the current Perl/
Tk maintainer last night but I haven't heard back from him either.

Your recipe gets around this problem by building Perl/Tk using the
version of Tk that ships with Leopard. I'm trying to avoid that if I
can because it means you are dropping your own user installed stuff
into the Apple provided Perl tree vs. installing it into the MacPorts
Perl installation. I did something like this for Tiger but was hoping
to avoid sullying the Apple stuff this time around. I'd really prefer
to get a working p5-tk port if possible.

As an aside, you asked about strace in your message. With the addition
of Dtrace in Leopard (yay, Apple!), you can now get the same
functionality. The easiest way to get this out of the box is to use
the dtruss Dtrace script that ships with Leopard (just say "dtruss
command", perhaps running under sudo).

        -- dNb