Do macports and fink conflict

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Jan 16 06:53:12 PST 2008

Alistair Gallworthy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to install both MacPorts and fink and run them
> side-by-side without conflict?
>
> For instance, I know that both systems install their own dependent
> utilities (like say python) and that both systems put those utilities in
> the PATH. That sounds like a recipe for conflict. Unless macports
> packages (for instance) religiously use absolute paths to refer to other
> macports packages they depend on, then I'd guess they would
> unintentionally call fink packages on occasion.
>
> I would like to transition to macports but I depend on so many fink
> packages right now it would be destabilizing to jump all at once.
>
> Thanks,
> Alistair

Fink and MacPorts are pretty well sandboxed, but they can interact in
unexpected ways, especially if your path isn't set up correctly. The
general recommendation is to use one or the other. I've used both
simultaneously in the past without incident, for instance to install
Gnome with one and KDE with another. As always, YMMV.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin