Perl 5.8.8 already present on Leopard; can I make a "dummy" Portfile?

Philip K.F. Hölzenspies p.k.f.holzenspies at utwente.nl
Thu Jan 17 06:08:00 PST 2008

Dear all,

You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance with regards to Portfiles, since I'm
a relative newbe ;)

I was playing around with the ghc Portfile in an attempt to update it to the
newer ghc version. While playing with this portfile, I noticed that quite a
few of the packages I need / use list perl 5.8.8 as a dependency. Macports
assumes that the Development Tools are installed. In Leopard, the DT package
includes perl 5.8.8 and quite a number of the p5-* packages.

The portfile database on macports.org/ports.php lists the perl 5.8.8 package
as having no maintainer. Thus, there seems to be no one to do my work for
me ;)

What I wanted to ask is whether it is possible to create a "dummy" Portfile
for Leopard. I tried simply adding the following to the existing perl 5.8.8
Portfile, but ran into (no doubt obvious) trouble:

platform darwin 9 {
        fetch {}
        checksum {}
        extract {}
        patch {}
        configure {}
        build {}
        test {}
        destroot {}
}

Is there a cleaner / better way to say "this portfile is installed by default
on this platform" or - better still - to check for it and based on that check
do or do not do the install?

Regards,
Philip