re-install perl in addition to system installation?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Jan 17 08:51:14 PST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:37 AM, David Reitter wrote:
> When installing texlive, macports insists on installing its own
> version of perl 5.8.8, even though I already have perl installed
> (comes with Leopard).
> How can I avoid that?

You don't.

> I have read the FAQ with respect to maintaining separate libraries
> in /opt, and that's acceptable to me for libraries, but not for big
> interpreters like perl (or python, or...), which I prefer my OS to
> manage rather than macports.

There are a bunch of problems with this strategy and most of them are
the same as with libraries. For one thing, if a macports port depends
on something apple installed and apple decides to update the system
in an incompatible way (because they can update all of the apple-
provided stuff in lockstep), it will break your macports stuff.

If you really wanted to, you could probably modify the ports to do
what you wanted (but by modifying them you would be ending up with a
configuration that you can't really get help with on these mailing
lists), and so it's unlikely that anyone is going to want to help you
enter this kind of unsupportable setup.
--
Daniel J. Luke