xsane build errors

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 21 15:13:38 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 14:53, John Gorst wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2008, at 19:19, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jan 20, 2008, at 11:28, John Gorst wrote:
>>
>>> I am getting the following error messages after a lengthy build
>>> process.....
>>>
>>> john-gorsts-macbook-pro-15:~ john$ sudo port install xsane
>>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gettext
>>> ncurses ncursesw gawk gimp2 libexif libgnomeui gnome-keyring
>>> glib2 gtk2 atk gtk-doc scrollkeeper pango libgcrypt libgpg-error
>>> libbonoboui dbus xmlto getopt dbus-glib gconf orbit2 libidl gnome-
>>> vfs gnome-mime-data neon libbonobo popt libglade2 libgnome
>>> libgnomecanvas gail libgtkhtml libmng autoconf help2man p5-locale-
>>> gettext automake librsvg libcroco libgsf poppler py25-gtk py25-
>>> cairo py25-numeric python25 py25-gobject
>>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>>>
>>> Here is the debug log entry for one of the missing dependancies.
>>>
>>> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port gnome-
>>> keyring.
>>> DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port gnome-keyring.
>>> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port gnome-
>>> keyring.
>>>
>>> Many thanks for any help!
>>
>> You haven't shown us the relevant information. Which of the
>> dependencies failed to build, and why? I suppose maybe it was
>> gnome-keyring, but the DEBUG messages you showed us from gnome-
>> keyring are normal status messages, not errors. (Not all ports
>> provide the variants "darwin", "i386", "macosx", and so forth, but
>> if those variants exist, MacPorts uses them. MacPorts is just
>> telling you that gnome-keyring doesn't have these variants. It's
>> not a problem.)
>>
>> Show us the actual error message you get when installing xsane. Or
>> is it one of the existing tickets we have for gnome-keyring?
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/query?
>> status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&summary=%7Egnome-
>> keyring&order=priority
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The actual message when I type 'sudo port install xsane' is shown
> above.
>
> I just included a few lines of 'sudo port -d install xsane' as it
> was so long and the list wouldnt post it!!
>
> Here are another few lines I have thought to be suspicious!
>
> DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/gettext
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: gettext
> DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: gettext

I think this is also normal output, saying that gettext is not
installed, so it's going to install gettext. And first it's going to
install any dependencies of gettext.

> I will email you my -debug log off list.
>
> Thank you for your help

I can see why you're confused. I was too! There's nothing but DEBUG
output.

I think that you're experiencing a circular dependency issue: gettext
depends on ncurses, ncurses depends on ncursesw, ncursesw depends on
gawk (on Leopard only), and gawk depends on gettext.

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13898

I resolved this problem a week ago by making ncursesw no longer
depend on gawk, which means your ports tree is out of date. So you
should update your ports:

	sudo port selfupdate

Then check which ports are outdated; ncursesw should show up in the
list:

	port outdated

Then you should rebuild ncursesw so it picks up my fix from last week
and no longer depends on gawk:

	sudo port upgrade ncursesw

You should also upgrade anything else shown by "port outdated".

Then you'll hopefully be able to install xsane:

	sudo port install xsane