Checksum failure with ncbi-tools, then missing getfeat.

Matt Scilipoti mattscilipoti at possiamo.com
Tue Jan 22 08:28:34 PST 2008

Mike, thank you for maintaining the port.

On 1/22/08, Michael Thon <mike.thon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt - Thanks for letting me know about the outdated port.  I'm
> updating it now and I should be able to submit it to trak later
> today.  When it appears in the repository, i'd appreciate it if you
> test it and give me some feedback.  This port is a 'work in
> progress'.  I haven't tested all the applications it installs, so I
> don't know if they all work (the ones I use work though).

I'll be happy to test it.  Currently, I am only using standalone
blastall, but I will look for other testing opportunities.

It would be nice if we listed which apps are tested.  I expect this
would go in http://ncbi_tools.darwinports.com/ and possibly the
portfile?  It looks like we don't have access to any of the readme
files.

> Regarding the versioning, when the authors of ncbi_tools update their
> package, the replace the current tarball on their ftp site with the
> new one and there is no version number in the filename or path, so the
> only (easiest?) way to know that its updated is to download it and
> checksum it.  If I was a good port maintainer I would check my ports
> periodically and submit updates before anyone else, like you,
> discovers that they're broken :)
> cheers
> Mike

I would be happy to help you create an automatic notifier.  I have a
few tools that notify me when http pages change.  Unfortunately, I
don't have anything for ftp pages and I don't see a page at ncbi that
will be updated when a new ncbi.tar.gz is created.  Do you know of an
http page?  If not, I'm sure I can create something.

To tell you the truth, I am having trouble finding any information
about this toolkit.  NCBI doesn't mention it.  The readme(s) within
the toolkit are helpful, but limited.  I'm here because a google
search indicated that this port contained blast and I prefer to use
libraries like MacPorts over manual updates.

thanks again, matt

<remaining text snipped>