[!SPAM?:XXXII] Re: matplotlib: no interactive backends appear to work

John Owens john_owens at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 08:19:34 PST 2008

Adam Mercer <ram <at> macports.org> writes:

> I've just updated the Portfile to 0.91.2, can you try the various
> backends with this version? The TKAgg backend works for me.

Can't get tkinter installed since it conflicts with wxpython (see below)
in 2.5, which seems to be default (and doesn't react to -wxpython). So
py25-matplotlib isn't installed with tkinter.

Anyway, using show() and backend : TkAgg on either python 2.4 or 2.5
pops up a blank X window and then segfaults python. Here's what I have
installed:

$ port installed | grep matplotlib
  py-matplotlib @0.90.1_0+numpy+tkinter
  py-matplotlib @0.91.2_0+tkinter (active)
  py25-matplotlib @0.90.1_1+gtk2+numpy
  py25-matplotlib @0.90.1_1+numpy+tkinter
  py25-matplotlib @0.90.1_1+numpy+wxpython
  py25-matplotlib @0.91.2_0+cairo+wxpython (active)

Also I get a pile of

Break on
__THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION
_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__()
to debug.
The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality
safely. You MUST exec().

during compiles.

JDO

$ sudo port -d upgrade py25-matplotlib +cairo +tkinter -wxpython
DEBUG: variants to install {} numpy wxpython
DEBUG: available variants are : universal cairo gtk2 tkinter wxpython
DEBUG: variant wxpython is present in py25-matplotlib 0.91.2_0
DEBUG: new portvariants: wxpython + tkinter + cairo +
DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/python/
py25-matplotlib
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port py25-matplotlib.
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port py25-matplotlib.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port py25-matplotlib.
DEBUG: Executing variant cairo provides cairo
DEBUG: Executing variant tkinter provides tkinter
Error: Variant tkinter conflicts with wxpython
DEBUG: Error evaluating variants
    while executing
"error "Error evaluating variants""
    (procedure "mportopen" line 51)
    invoked from within
"mportopen $porturl [array get options] [array get variations]"
Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants