apache, postgresql, perl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 1 00:13:20 PDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 18:49, Tom Allison wrote:

> Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> On Jun 25, 2008, at 2:54 AM, Tom Allison wrote:
>>> Of course, as the result of this, right now I can't even get
>>> users to
>>> run any cgi (eg: /~tom/works.cgi)
>
> Something else is seriously wrong with this installation....
>
> I stopped apache (apachectl stop) and the only change is that I get
> a message that I do not have permission to access /~tom/ -- not
> that the server is down.

Ok, so maybe the apachectl you were running is not the one associated
with the apache that was running. For example, maybe you were running
the apachectl in /usr/sbin that controls Apple's apache, but it's the
MacPorts apache2 you wanted to stop, in which case you would need to
run the apachectl in /opt/local/apache2/bin instead. Or maybe it was
the other way around.

> OK, I went on a hunt and uninstalled, then deleted, then kill -9
> anything that looked like apache.
>
> Got that fixed.

I hope you just uninstalled apaches that you had installed. You
shouldn't for example delete files Apple provided as part of Mac OS X
as this may confuse future OS updates.

> Now that I have a new installation, there's no http.conf file --
> copy the sample one over and go from there?

Yes, the apache2 port does not create an httpd.conf for you. It gives
you an httpd.conf.sample which you can copy to httpd.conf and edit as
needed. This ensures that future apache2 port updates do not alter
your configuration file.