Best practice for QT applications

Olivier Croquette ocroquette at free.fr
Wed Jul 2 05:44:06 PDT 2008

Hi

I have just created a new port for qgit:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/15820

and I was wondering if there are best practice for QT applications.

They have a similar installation procedure as the GNU tools, but a bit
different too, and there are several ways to write the portfile.

For example, "qmake" can be called:

- using "system qmake" in the configure { } block

- by setting "configure.cmd" to "qmake"

- in the build phase by setting use_configure to "no"

Another topic is the destroot phase. QT applications don't have the same
layout as GNU applications. Apparently, the rule is to do the
installation manually, case by case. Is that right?

QT ports would deserve a subchapter in the guide, in:
http://guide.macports.org/#development.practices

Or even better, portfiles could support qt applications directly
(something like "use_qt yes" :) )

What do you think?

Best regards

Olivier