A way to add a variant from command-line?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 06:50:22 PDT 2008

Hello all --

I was wondering, is there a way, with the port command-line program, to add
a variant to a port that you want to install without having to edit / modify
its Portfile? I kind of was wondering because several days ago Rainer
mentioned that you can do this type of thingy - magic on the command-line:

$ sudo port install gnutar configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.2

It would be cool if one could add a variant in a similar manner, am I
dreaming? ;-)

Thanks,

T.M.