A way to add a variant from command-line?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 03:51:49 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2008, at 08:50, Tabitha McNerney wrote:
>
>  I was wondering, is there a way, with the port command-line program, to
>> add a variant to a port that you want to install without having to edit /
>> modify its Portfile? I kind of was wondering because several days ago Rainer
>> mentioned that you can do this type of thingy - magic on the command-line:
>>
>> $ sudo port install gnutar configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.2
>>
>> It would be cool if one could add a variant in a similar manner, am I
>> dreaming? ;-)
>>

> I don't know of a way to do that. Why do you want to?

Well, a matter of convenience perhaps. For example, I build MacPorts on more
than one disk image. Each image has some ports that have different
requisites and require Portfile modification to add a variant. Its not
really that big of a deal but would be interesting if there was a way to add
a variant via the command-line (maybe too difficult considering that some
variants need too much extra information that's better off written in Tcl
anyway.

Thanks,

T.M.