Bug with multiple port: dependencies in depends_lib ?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 7 13:31:29 PDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 15:04, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2008, at 3:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> Should we just create a new 1.7.0 release branch based off of the
>>> current trunk and get it ready for release?
>>
>> Before we create any branch we should make sure all changes from
>> the 1.6 branch have been merged into trunk.
>
> sure.
>
>> Then someone should create some disk images for 10.3, 10.4 and
>> 10.5 so we can be sure that works. Then we should be sure to test
>> them on all 5 OS/arch combinations.
>
> Well, we don't officially support 10.3, so I don't think we need a
> pkg installer for it.

Well I want a disk image for 10.3 so nyah. :)

> Ideally, we should have 1 universal pkg that works on 10.4 and 10.5
> intel and ppc.

Yes but no work has been done on this thus far so it can happen after
MacPorts 1.7.0 is released.

I see in the GSoC wiki page that there is a desire to replace the
selfupdate mechanism with using the MacPorts port to update the
MacPorts installation. This means we should concentrate our efforts
on the MacPorts port for making sure a truly universal MacPorts is
built.

>> We could create a 1.7 branch before creating the disk images if
>> someone wanted to take charge of merging changes from trunk as
>> needed.
>
> I think we'd just want to merge over any fixes to brokenness that
> would prevent release. Any big changes would wait until the next
> release.
>
> That way 1.7 would be just current trunk + any polish needed to
> have it work right for our users.
>
>> I haven't familiarized myself with svnmerge.py or the Subversion
>> 1.5 merge mechanism yet.
>

> Do you want to? ;-)

Maybe. ;-)