Bug with multiple port: dependencies in depends_lib ?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Jul 7 14:40:29 PDT 2008

Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>> Ideally, we should have 1 universal pkg that works on 10.4 and 10.5
>>> intel and ppc.
>> Yes but no work has been done on this thus far so it can happen
>> after MacPorts 1.7.0 is released.

What is the important difference between the two? I can only think of
the autoconf paths (/usr/bin/svn and /usr/bin/xar are included in
Leopard, but not in Tiger).

>> I see in the GSoC wiki page that there is a desire to replace the
>> selfupdate mechanism with using the MacPorts port to update the
>> MacPorts installation. This means we should concentrate our efforts
>> on the MacPorts port for making sure a truly universal MacPorts is
>> built.

The target of the GSoC project idea was to remove 'port selfupdate' and
make updates to MacPorts base by 'port upgrade MacPorts'.

> Right, it would be good to get to the point where 'port dmg MacPorts'
> was sufficient to generate the dmg we put on the website.

Eh, I thought this is exactly the way the dmgs for the website are
generated? At least this is what base/portmgr/ReleaseProcess says, and
the dmgs have the "Created with MacPorts" logo.

The Portfile replaces some strings in the Readme and Welcome files for
the dmgs, but no major difference is made the way MacPorts is build.

Rainer