Bug with multiple port: dependencies in depends_lib ?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Jul 8 06:55:12 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> When built on Leopard, MacPorts sets the x11prefix to /usr/X11. When
> built on Tiger, it sets it to /usr/X11R6. /usr/X11R6 would still work
> on Leopard because Leopard has a symlink at /usr/X11R6 pointing to /
> usr/X11.

Right. But this is a trunk 'feature', 1.6.0 just relied on the symlink.
Does the installer overwrite macports.conf? It contains the x11prefix
setting, so many users will continue to use /usr/X11R6. At the same
time, overwriting a user controlled configuration file seems bad...

> When built on Leopard, MacPorts uses the MacOSX10.5.sdk. When built
> on Tiger, it uses the MacOSX10.4u.sdk.
>
> I assume installing the MacPorts port without the +universal variant
> is possible, and that this would give you a non-universal MacPorts.

By using 'port selfupdate' users also get a non-universal install.

> I would want the MacPorts port to enforce always installing
> universal, and also to use the MacOSX10.3.9.sdk for PowerPC and
> MacOSX10.4u.sdk for Intel. configure, build, install four times (for
> ppc, i386, ppc64 and x86_64), lipo everything together. We can use
> the merge() function that has been committed to trunk to help with
> this. See also the universal variants in openssl and cairo for ideas.

Basically we need something like 'universal.type lipo' we discussed
earlier (did someone create a ticket?). Maybe it would be easier to just
push out 1.7.0 in separate packages for Tiger and Leopard and work on
this afterwards.

I think setting 'universal_archs pcc i386 ppc64 x86_64' in macports.conf
should be enough to create the packages for one platform only.

> We keep "sudo port selfupdate" as a synonym for "sudo port upgrade
> MacPorts", I assume?

Nobody is working on this right now. This is from the *ideas* page which
should give students hints what they could work on if they want to
apply. I think this will be a greater task for the future and then it
could also keep the 'selfupdate' as an alias.

Rainer