Dependencies relationship to default variants?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 21:50:17 PDT 2008

Hi all --

Could someone help to clear up some confusion? I'm looking at this port
specifically:

cyrus-sasl2

When I look at port dependencies for cyrus-sasl2 I get:

$ port deps cyrus-sasl2
> cyrus-sasl2 has library dependencies on:
>     openssl
>     zlib

When I look at file dependencies for cyrus-sasl2 I get:

$ port info --depends_lib cyrus-sasl2 @2.1.21_0
depends_lib: port:openssl, lib:libz:zlib

and

$ port info --depends_run cyrus-sasl2 @2.1.21_0
no info for 'depends_run'

and

$ port info --depends_build cyrus-sasl2 @2.1.21_0
no info for 'depends_build'

but after installing cyrus-sasl2 (I never negate default variants), I
discovered this default variant:

$ port installed cyrus-sasl2
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   cyrus-sasl2 @2.1.21_0+kerberos (active)

Woah! Kerberos is a default variant? But there is no kerberos port, there is
only a port named "*kerberos5*". And there is nothing regarding file
dependencies about making use of a vendor's (e.g., Apple's) install of
kerberos.

I don't know how to interpret the meaning of the default variant in the
context of dependencies, given this example above.

Also, is there any way (before installing a port) to use the port
command-line program to request a port's default variants information? Or is
the only way to obtain this information to parse each port's Portfile and
look for it that way?

The reason I ask is that I've been working on a very robust system for
tracking, maintaining and auditing MacPorts for use mostly on Xserves. It
has turned out to be quite a complicated process due to the intertangling
(graphs essentially) of dependencies, sequence of installations, etc.

Thanks for any clarity on the above,

T.M.