port install php5 fails on Leopard 10.5.4

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Jul 10 23:57:14 PDT 2008

Ken Tozier wrote:
> That must be part of the problem. /opt/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf
> doesn't exist /opt/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf.example does but the
> string "php" doesn't appear anywhere in it. There is an httpd.conf
> file one level deeper in the hierarchy (/opt/local/apache2/conf/
> original/httpd.conf") but that doesn't contain "php" either. Another
> possible problem is that while both "httpd.conf.example" and "/
> original/httpd.conf" contain t"DocumentRoot" the path points to "/opt/
> local/apache2/htdocs" which, if I'm understanding how the "web
> sharing" checkbox works in the "Sharing prefs panel," puts it
> completely out of the normal web hosting framework.

MacPorts apache2 has nothing to do with the Sharing Preferences in
System Preferences. The settings there are for the Apple provided web
server.

You need to copy the config file from the example file and add the
directives to load php5.

See this HOWTO:
<http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP>

> This is starting to get complicated... Do I really have to subvert
> the nice simple turn it on/turn it off mechanism of web sharing and
> hand tool a bunch of settings to get this to work? Or is the php Mac
> port not quite ready for prime time?

No, you can't use the Sharing Preferences for starting/stopping. But I
wouldn't consider this a showstopper.

Rainer