selfupdate error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 11 14:53:33 PDT 2008

There were initial problems building MacPorts 1.6.0 on Panther. These
were resolved in order to produce the Panther disk image packages.
I'm surprised these changes were not merged back for the selfupdate
system.

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2008-January/
004084.html

Yes, you should be able to download the MacPorts 1.6.0 Panther disk
image and install it over the top of what you have on your system
now. Your existing ports will not be affected.