Dependencies relationship to default variants?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 21:04:21 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Randall Wood <
randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com> wrote:

[SNIP]

> Not using Apple's kerberos has been known to break expected behavior.
> Its not the standard Kerberos

For clarification when you wrote "Its not the standard Kerberos", do you
mean that Apple's installation of Kerberos that ships on Mac OS X / Mac OS X
Server is not the standard Kerberos, or are you saying that the instance of
Kerberos that may be installed with the MacPort named, literally,
"kerberos5<http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/kerberos5/Portfile>"
is not the standard Kerberos?

> and hooks into Apple's authentication
> scheme in a way that the standard Kerberos does not.

I think I understand what you're saying is that Apple's installation of
Kerberos on OS X machines has been modified to hook into Apple's
authentication scheme. So does this mean that Apple has modified the
standard Kerberos open source code with something proprietary that is
non-discoverable (the Kerberos open source license is, if I'm not mistaken,
a license that does not necessarily require contributions back to the
community unlike GPL / GPL2 so Apple might be free to modify Kerberos in
ways that are potentially undiscoverable, true? I'm not saying this is a bad
or good thing (am not making a judgment call -- no offense to Apple or
Jordan, etc.) am just wanting to get some ultra clarity.

> I think that
> authentication services needs to be one of those
> the-exception-to-the-rule-is-the-rule situations like X11.

Understandable -- but would be kind of nice to know what Apple has done
under the hood with Kerberos to glue to their authentication system. Such
changes under the hood might also be different for OS X compared to OS X
Server (e.g., OS X Server runs a Kerberos Server but does OS X?).

Thanks,

T.M.

[SNIP]