reinstall issue [was: selfupdate error]

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Jul 12 09:25:00 PDT 2008

Marco Battistella wrote:
> ok.
> i installed MacPort 1.6.0 in top of the old installation but while
> the old ports are still installed (good) the new macports
> installation doesn't recognize them as it's own.
> Is there a way to "tric" the new installation into recognizing the
> ports currently installed?

Your old installation still used the old DarwinPorts layout and names.
But the code for upgrading to the new MacPorts layout is only run when
doing an install from source, not when installing from the disk image.
You need to do an install from source.

No release yet fixed this problem with building on Panther. So you need
to get the code from our SVN repository. We have a HOWTO for running
from trunk at [1]. I don't know if this problem was fixed in the
release_1_6 branch. You can follow the instructions there, although you
can leave out the parts about changing sources.conf as I think you want
to continue using rsync.

Rainer

[1] http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/RunningTrunk