libsqlite3 no matching architecture in universal wrappe

Yitzhak Bar Geva yitzhakbg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 07:16:22 PDT 2008

I must have done something which screwed up my library, but still after
hours and hours of poking around and trying to fathom Macports, I still
cannot get to the bottom.
I noticed there are certain programs which don't launch. (This may also have
something to do with Firefox 3.0 frequently bombing).
Here's an example:

admin$ java
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
  Referenced from:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
        /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
        /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
Trace/BPT trap

I had already rebuild sqlite3 and all relevant Macport installations with
the universal variant, but to no avail. Now I had the same or similar
problem in a previously running application:
admin$ /Applications/NX\ Client\ for\ OSX.app/Contents/MacOS/nxclient
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
  Referenced from:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
        /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
        /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
Trace/BPT trap

I solved it by copying libsqlite3.0.dylib from /opt/local/lib to /usr/lib
and miraculously nxclient (from NoMachine) came to life again. Drunk with my
success, I assumed that it would solve the problems I was having with some
of the other programs lie java (above) and NeoOffice for example. But alas,
it wasn't to be:
 admin$ java
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
  Referenced from:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
        /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib: no matching architecture in universal
wrapper
        /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib: no matching architecture in universal
wrapper
Trace/BPT trap

Here's some background info:

admin$ otool -L /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
/usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib:
        @executable_path/libsqlite3.0.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0,
current version 9.6.0)
        /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 111.1.1)

admin$ otool -L /opt/local/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib:
        /opt/local/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0,
current version 9.6.0)
        /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 111.0.0)

admin$ ls -l /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  454952 Jun 29 07:04 libsqlite3_saved.0.dylib

admin$ ls -l /opt/local/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root  admin  791064 Jul 13 21:20
/opt/local/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib

admin$ sudo port variants sqlite3
Password:
sqlite3 has the variants:
        universal
        loadable_extensions: Enables experimental loadbale extensions
admins-power-mac-g4:lib admin$ sudo port installed sqlite3
  sqlite3 @3.5.9_0+universal (active)

Assistance will be warmly accepted.
Thanks,
Yitzhak