gsl-devel build message "file is not of required architecture"

Owen Solberg solberg at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 17 08:21:22 PDT 2008

Hi again,

For the record, I think I found a solution here:
http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/OpenSource/PerlExtensionsRelNotes/index.html

where you learn that setting

env ARCHFLAGS='-arch i386'

will pass along to gcc this architecture setting.  Apparently Macs
default build behavior is to try to build both ppc and i386
architectures... I assume that the gsl-devel is all i386, so that was
the problem I was running into.

Hope this helps someone else.