Clean way to uninstall outdated inactive ports

Joel Thibault (MacPorts) pgijnxn02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jul 23 10:29:03 PDT 2008

This bug annoyed me greatly.  When I tried using the "trunk" version I
kept hearing about here, I was quite pleased to see that upgrades now
work properly!  Woo!

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/RunningTrunk

Joel

On 7/22/08, Ross Walker rswwalker-at-hotmail.com |MacPorts|
<j8czk21m4u0t at sneakemail.com> wrote:

>  Is there a clean way to uninstall outdated inactive ports other then 'port
>  -f uninstall inactive'?
>
>  I tried passing the -u flag to 'port -u upgrade outdated', but if the port
>  has dependencies (and a lot do) then it will fail both the upgrade of the
>  new version and the old.
>
>  For example:
>
>  rivendell:~ root# port -u upgrade outdated
>  --->  Fetching glib2
>  --->  Attempting to fetch glib-2.16.5.tar.bz2 from
>  ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/glib/2.16/
>  --->  Attempting to fetch glib-2.16.5.tar.bz2 from
>  http://mandril.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/linux/gnome.org/sources/glib/2.16/
>  --->  Verifying checksum(s) for glib2
>  --->  Extracting glib2
>  --->  Applying patches to glib2
>  --->  Configuring glib2
>  --->  Building glib2 with target all
>  --->  Staging glib2 into destroot
>  --->  Unable to uninstall glib2 2.16.4_1+darwin_9, the following ports
>  depend on it:
>  --->      atk
>  --->      pango
>  --->      shared-mime-info
>  --->      gtk2
>  --->      libidl
>  --->      orbit2
>  --->      gconf
>  --->      gnome-keyring
>  --->      dbus-glib
>  --->      desktop-file-utils
>  --->      libbonobo
>  --->      gail
>  --->      libgnomecanvas
>  --->      libbonoboui
>  --->      libcroco
>  --->      py25-gobject
>  --->      xsane
>  --->      wireshark
>  --->      pango
>  --->      shared-mime-info
>  --->      pango
>  --->      wireshark
>  --->      gnome-keyring
>  --->      wireshark
>  Error: Uninstall glib2 2.16.4_1+darwin_9 failed: Please uninstall the ports
>  that depend on glib2 first.
>
>  Maybe I should have passed the -f flag too?
>
>  After that I just did a straight 'port upgrade outdated' followed by a 'port
>  -f uninstall inactive', because port didn't install and activate the new
>  version before it (unsuccessfully) tried to uninstall the old version :-(.
>
>  It would be nice if 'port' had a way to cleanly uninstall an inactive port
>  without having to force it as well as to make sure a port was successfully
>  installed and activated before it tried to deactivate and uninstall the old
>  version.
>
>  It would be even nicer if port only kept the last X versions of a port, X
>  being a configurable option, so a user can have the previous version
>  available in case the new version is broken, but wouldn't have to worry
>  about cleaning out the other 5 or 6 older versions also hanging around.
>

>  -Ross

Joel Thibault [AIM: Jole Tebo]
Software Engineer in Boston