Building macports ppc libraries and binaries on intel

Harry van der Wolf hvdwolf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 11:26:54 PDT 2008

Hi,

As Macports does not build all ports as universal and as some of the
universal ports are not correct anyway due to the endian "problem" of
MacPorts(*), I wanted to set up two parallel macports trees in user space
using the ./configure option "--with-install-user=USER" with my own userid,
thereby also removing the sudo part of the port command.
So I built from source (1.6) a parallell tree in
/Users/Shared/macports_universal/ppc and one in
/Users/Shared/macports_universal/i386 (see attached Setenv-unversal.txt for
all scripts and the 1_-build_parallel_macports_trees for building the
parellel trees).
I myself are on Intel (Intel Macbook) but I like to built in the
"/Users/Shared/macports_universal/ppc" tree for PPC.
I have tried lots of options but without result. Also ports built in the ppc
tree are i386 builds (lipo -info <lib or binary>).
In macports.conf I tried with:
os.endian  bigEndian
os.arch  ppc   (also powerpc and )
os.version 7.0

I also tried with all kind of (obviously incorrect) "command line" options
like configure.cflags-append "-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
-arch ppc" and configure.ldflags-append " -arch ppc", but without result. I
tried the same in macports.conf (in the .../ppc/etc/macports/macports.conf)
and also using the extra_env settings like CFLAGS="-isysroot
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
-arch ppc", but nothing works.

Is it possible to build ports on intel for ppc at all?
How do I setup my system to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Harry

*: Macports builds universal packages (that support it) correctly for ppc or
i386 but always uses the endianness of the build platform. For example: when
building glib2, cairo, pango and gtk on Intel universally (a common option)
it will build the ppc "side" also with little_endian instead of big_endian
(same for tiff by the way). This will result in seemingly correct builds,
but these "universal"  builds will not work on "the other platform".