setting environment variables

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 30 22:01:48 PDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 19:06, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 18:49, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> It's still no, but for wine and mapm3, I installed a wrapper
>>> script  to set needed environment variables. Check it out. I
>>> recommend the  mechanism used by mapm3; I'll change the wine
>>> port's method to use  mapm3's method soon. (Put the real binary in
>>> ${prefix}/lib/${name}/;
>>
>> Not really sure, but wouldn't be ${prefix}/libexec the more correct
>> place than ${prefix}/lib?
>>
>> porthier(7):
>> lib/      archive libraries
>> libexec/  system daemons & system utilities (executed by other pro-
>>           grams)
>
> I had not looked at porthier, but I had looked at the FHS
> documentation which does not mention libexec, and an extended forum
> discussion argued against the use of libexec and for the use of lib
> for that reason. We are not following the FHS then?
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

The Guide also mentions libexec so that's what I should use. I
actually like the idea of separating hidden binaries from libraries,
but I didn't use it because the FHS is against it. But since Mac OS X
is not Linux and MacPorts doesn't follow the FHS, at least in this
regard, I changed the port to use libexec. Thanks for pointing me to
the right documentation!