libdvdnav install issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 1 00:43:46 PDT 2008

On May 31, 2008, at 16:21, David Clark wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 2:47 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On May 30, 2008, at 23:46, David Clark wrote:
>>
>>> I want to install libdvdnav so I can use it with my self-compiled
>>> SVN version of mplayer, but alas, I'm having no luck; this is the
>>> result:
>>>
>>> --->  Fetching libdvdnav
>>> --->  Attempting to fetch libdvdnav-0.1.10.tar.gz from http://
>>> downloads.sourceforge.net/dvd
>>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for libdvdnav
>>> --->  Extracting libdvdnav
>>> --->  Applying patches to libdvdnav
>>> --->  Configuring libdvdnav
>>> --->  Building libdvdnav with target all
>>> [no progress]
>>>
>>> So I tried it again with the -d flag so I could actually watch
>>> the verbose versions of those commands.
>>>
>>> It turns out that every time it starts to built it, it loops back
>>> through the configure again and never goes anywhere:
>>>
>>> WARNING: `aclocal-1.6' is missing on your system.  You should
>>> only need it if
>>>         you modified `acinclude.m4' or `configure.ac'.  You might
>>> want
>>>         to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.  Grab them
>>> from
>>>         any GNU archive site.
>>>
>>> checking for doxygen... no
>>> configure: creating ./config.status
>>> cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status Makefile
>>> config.status: creating Makefile
>>> config.status: WARNING:  'Makefile.in' seems to ignore the --
>>> datarootdir setting
>>> cd . && \
>>>      /bin/sh /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_dev
>>> el_libdvdnav/work/libdvdnav-0.1.10/missing --run automake-1.6 --
>>> gnu  Makefile
>>> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_dev
>>> el_libdvdnav/work/libdvdnav-0.1.10/missing: line 46:
>>> automake-1.6: command not found
>>> WARNING: `automake-1.6' is missing on your system.  You should
>>> only need it if
>>>         you modified `Makefile.am', `acinclude.m4' or
>>> `configure.ac'.
>>>         You might want to install the `Automake' and `Perl'
>>> packages.
>>>         Grab them from any GNU archive site.
>>> cd . && /bin/sh /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_dev
>>> el_libdvdnav/work/libdvdnav-0.1.10/missing --run autoconf
>>> /bin/sh ./config.status --recheck
>>> running CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh /bin/sh ./configure --prefix=/opt/
>>> local CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 CFLAGS=-O2 CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/
>>> include CPP=/usr/bin/cpp-4.0 CXXFLAGS=-O2 CXX=/usr/bin/g++-4.0
>>> FFLAGS=-O2 LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib --no-create --no-recursion
>>>
>>> I have both perl5.8 and automake installed.  I tried uninstalling
>>> automake (via MacPorts), but that made no difference.
>>>
>>> Any clue how I can get this port installed?
>>
>> I tried on a MacBook Pro with MacPorts 1.6.0 and Xcode 2.5 on Mac
>> OS X 10.4.11 and got this:
>>
>> bswap.h:92:2: error: #error "You need to add endian swap macros
>> for you're system"
>>
>> So it doesn't work at all on Intel Macs. You must be using a
>> PowerPC Mac then. What version of Mac OS X, Xcode and MacPorts do
>> you have, and on what Mac?
>>
>> I also tried on a Power Mac G4 (MacPorts 1.6.0, Xcode 2.5, Mac OS
>> X 10.4.11) and it worked fine. I do have "aclocal-1.6" in /usr/
>> bin, which means it was provided by Apple. Do you not have this
>> file? On my Mac, I believe it was provided by the BSD.pkg part of
>> the Mac OS X installation. You could try reinstalling that pkg.
>

> Yeah, that would be helpful, wouldn't it?  Sorry about that, my
> mind wasn't all there, apparently (current excuse:  not enough
> sleep and it was late).
>
> This was on 10.5.3, with MacPorts 1.600 and Xcode 3.0 [gcc powerpc-
> apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)].  I'm
> using a dual-2.5 GHz G5.
>
> I have an Intel MacBook Pro, also, but hadn't bothered to try to
> install it on there; while I have the SVN of MPlayer compiled on my
> MBP, I never use it.
>
> Hope this helps; if I can do anything to help you debug, let me know.

Ok, I looked on a Leopard machine and I see it only has aclocal-1.10
in /usr/bin, not the older aclocal-1.6. libdvdnav is old. This latest
version is from 2004. I suppose it will need to be updated to work
with the newer aclocal. But if the developers haven't already
released a new version of their own accord in four years, they may no
longer be actively developing it. You may need to contact the
developers of libdvdnav to see what the situation is, and report this
problem (and the lack of Intel Mac support) to them. Usually the
maintainer of the port would do that, but libdvdnav has no
maintainer, so nobody is looking after it.

Don't forget to Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not
just to me.