Port path problem [was Re: Several errors building gnutls]

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 4 22:22:10 PDT 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 00:10, Brian Flaherty wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:18:30PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Thank you for the suggestion.  I just had a similar problem with
>>> mc being
>>> unable to find pkg-config.  I ran sudo port -f configure as
>>> suggested
>>> above and it shows this as the path:
>>>
>>> PATH: ${prefix}/bin
>>> PATH: ${prefix}/sbin
>>> PATH: /bin
>>> PATH: /sbin
>>> PATH: /usr/bin
>>> PATH: /usr/sbin
>>> PATH: /usr/X11R6/bin
>>> PATH: /usr/texbin
>>
>> I didn't quite understand... what command causes these paths to be
>> printed
>> out like this?
>
> I'm sorry for the ambiguity.  The list of PATHs above is from
> config.log, as Chris Pickel suggested I look at.
>
> The problem is in my MacPorts installation on my laptop.  I had a
> similar problem occur today when I tried to install wyrd via port on
> my laptop.  Note, that it installed fine on my Mac Pro.
>
> Wyrd depends on ocaml, which was installed via port.
>
> camus:wyrd-1.4.4 bxf4$ which ocamlc
> /opt/local/bin/ocamlc
>
> But, when I try to install wyrd via port, configure cannot find
> ocamlc.
>
> camus:wyrd-1.4.4 bxf4$ sudo port install wyrd--->  Configuring wyrd
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textp
> roc_wyrd/work/wyrd-1.4.4" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --
> mandir=/opt/local/share/man " returned error 1
> Command output: checking for ocamlc... no
> configure: error: Cannot find ocamlc.
>

> When I go to the wyrd work directory (below):
>
> camus:wyrd-1.4.4 bxf4$ port dir wyrd
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> textproc/wyrd
>
> and run configure by hand, it works fine.
>
> I save the config.logs from both the port configure and my running
> configure by hand.  Here's the difference in paths:
>
> part of config.log following sudo port configure wyrd
>
> PATH: ${prefix}/bin
> PATH: ${prefix}/sbin
> PATH: /bin
> PATH: /sbin
> PATH: /usr/bin
> PATH: /usr/sbin
> PATH: /usr/X11R6/bin
> PATH: /usr/texbin
>
> part of config.log following my running sudo ./configure (with the
> proper arguments) in the wyrd macports work directory:
>
> PATH: /Users/bxf4/bin
> PATH: /opt/local/bin
> PATH: /opt/local/sbin
> PATH: /usr/X11/bin
> PATH: /bin
> PATH: /sbin
> PATH: /usr/bin
> PATH: /usr/sbin
> PATH: /usr/local/bin
> PATH: /usr/texbin

> [...]

Now I understood! Thanks.

Have you set binpath to something (possibly including "${prefix}/bin"
and "${prefix}/sbin") in /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf on the
laptop where it doesn't work?

If that's not it, what are the differences between the laptop where
it doesn't work an the Mac Pro where it does work? Mac OS X version?
Xcode version? MacPorts version?