New Howto

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 7 00:27:57 PDT 2008

On Jun 6, 2008, at 21:20, paul beard wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:00 PM, wrote:
>
>> We should not now add another
>> wiki system with a conflicting syntax. If we wanted to switch from
>> Trac wiki to MediaWiki we could discuss that, but converting all
>> existing content could be difficult (though maybe someone's already
>> written an importer; I haven't looked).
>
> Do we have to discuss it? I think discussion is one of the reasons
> there is no 1.6.x release (or an even more full-featured one). What
> format are most of the articles in and what flavor is getting the
> most attention right now? And who decided a format as simple as
> wiki needed to be forked or otherwise complicated?

The MacPorts project is not a dictatorship, it's an open-source
collaborative project, and mine is not the only opinion, hence
discussion. My opinion is we should not have two wiki systems with
different syntax rules. We have enough trouble getting people to
follow just the syntax rules for Trac today. (Bugs are constantly
filed with wrong syntax.) We should either keep Trac as the only wiki
system, or move to MediaWiki as the only wiki system, and convert all
existing content to MediaWiki format, and close the Trac wiki. The
former option is less work so I vote for that, since I haven't seen
any outcry against the Trac wiki.